Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Missed your alarm call?

The keynote at my high school graduation was delivered by the late Kemmons Wilson, founder of Holiday Inn. I was ever-so-slightly hungover at the time, and seem to remember it as a long string of aphorisms, but I'm sure there was more to it than that. One thing I do remember clearly was a statement that, if you threw a frog in boiling water, it would jump out. However, if you put it in a pot of cold water and then heated it gradually, the frog would happily sit there, its body temperature adjusting until it was too late. I don't know if this bit of homespun Memphis biology is strictly true, but I always assumed his point was about being wary of complacency and self-delusion.

I usually don't reveal much about the traffic I see coming through the site, but I note a growing number of investment bank URLs and IP addresses wandering through, and in fact staying a while sometimes (thanks guys, that's gratifying, I guess). More interestingly and somewhat amusingly, I am getting hits from Google searches for Nimcat Networks, out of a variety of EuroTelcos. I'm also seeing a lot more hits from queries about Skype users and usage, some of which also appear to be coming from TelcoLand worldwide. I expect there might be a few hits this afternoon from the term "AOL"...

No comments: