Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Welcome. In July 2003, I began publishing an email blast called EuroTelcoblog as part of my work as an analyst at Daiwa Securities SMBC Europe. Admittedly, using the word "blog" in association with a lowly email blast was a fudge, but now, as a new convert to RSS, I have decided to publish a proper blog in parallel with the email version.

This was born out of three main motivations:

  • a desire to get maximum mileage of the material beyond the narrow audience for which it was originally created;
  • a sense of mischief and intense interest in observing how disruptive technologies interract with and ultimately subvert rigid legacy structures (i.e., that of the company where I work);
  • the practical consideration that none of what I had written on these darker corners of the telco world had been recognized as "legitimate research" under the criteria for having said research entered into the company research database. Unable to sit by and see good work squandered, I took matters into my own hands.

Below follow the archived emails from this "pseudoblog" period. Some of the postings refer to research publications not contained in the EuroTelcoblog series, but contact me if you're interested in seeing them.

James Enck
European Telecom Analyst
Global Telecom Strategist
Daiwa Securities SMBC Europe Ltd.
5 King William Street
London
EC4N 7AX
Direct line: 44 20 7597 8455
Skype: jimiinc
james.enck@dir.co.uk (n.b. this address no longer works, try james.enck@gmail.com)