Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Pimp my 3D webcam

In an attempt to keep up to date with new companies and emerging technologies, I subscribe to the Venture Wire alerts, which I have found to be a good source of information. Today's issue carried an article on 3DV Systems getting funding from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and an Israeli VC, Pitango Venture Capital, and I thought I would share it, if only out of my sense of fascination with what they are doing. It's intriguing to think of the changes that might eventually occur in the ways we interact with devices and applications as a result of a highly accurate 3D webcam. Forget the annoying keystroke commands of the virtual world (and the interesting, but cumbersome attempts to make it more natural), and move as your character should. Add steroids to the lowly production values of your video podcast. There's a lot of other highly non-trivial stuff I can envisage around telemedicine, simulation-based training, hazardous engineering work, personal safety, and obviously some that I'm perhaps less enthusiastic about. Still, I reckon innovation like this is something to be thankful for.

No comments: