Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Notes from Mission Control

One feichang hao reader wrote in to express concern that I might have been talking about downloads rather than users in my previous posts. For clarification, the data I received contained actual user numbers, which I am not at liberty to disclose. If I gross up the implied total user base on the basis of one country's user number and the share of total (let's say the US), then I get nowhere near the total download figure. Therefore, I conclude that these are real users. I'm trying to confirm the basis of definition and calculation with Mr. Z, but I feel confident in saying that, as a conclusion, there are a helluvalot of users sitting on Europe's broadband plant, and judging from the telco traffic to the site today, this seems to be something of a concern.

No comments: