Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A bit of reading material

If I ever get a break from the day-to-day grind, I'm going to get caught up on my reading. Add to the already long list this 203-page feasibility study on FTTP in San Francisco kindly sent in by a Palladium Club mega-uber value reader. Interestingly, one conclusion is that the initial FTTP deployment in the enterprise district be extended city-wide, as an open network, which would be "competition-enhancing." This last bit seems to pretty well capture the mood both Stateside and increasingly in Europe.

Should you manage to make it through the document and still have energy for a bit more, these are the slides (torrent) I presented at the Telecom Finance conference late last Friday afternoon, as Deutsche Telekom was no doubt discussing the most awkward timing for this year's first profit warning (yes, Sunday mid-day was a lovely choice). Due to a late start and an increase in panel size from three to five, I basically had to try to get my message across in seven minutes or so. The best moment for me was when I said that telcos should expect that everyone is in competition with them. As an example, I asked for a show of hands from those who thought that Adobe should be counted among the field of telco competitors. Not a single hand rose, but later, when I touched on the deal with Verisign, I could see some wincing going on, and when I closed with the Acrobat 8 news (which no one seemed to have clocked), I was rewarded with the smiling and head-shaking disbelief that I usually aim to see at least once in a presentation.

No comments: