Thursday, December 21, 2006

What's inside Venice?



A Palladium Club mega-uber value reader did a very skillful screen-grab of Venice (click to enlarge) as it was launching, to capture the list of acknowledgements which appears very, very briefly. There's an interesting list of copyrights here, under the phrase, "parts of this product are": Joltid (okay, we knew that), the Regents of the University of California, OpenSSL Project, Sleepycat Software (I assume it's this), David Beckett (this David Beckett looks like a strong candidate, but I'm not sure), the University of Bristol (twice), Lev Walkin, and Dr. Brian Gladman of Worcester, UK (an encryption and security expert).

UPDATE: Om has a nice piece on Venice here, and I agree with a lot of the things he picks up on. Particularly the social aspects, which is something that the IPTV crowd has been talking about for a long time. Venice seems to have done less talking and more nailing. A couple of days ago, a friend also in the beta started IMing me in Gmail from the Venice client, and even after we finished the chat, I left the IM window open. Thereafter I got an update everytime he started watching a new piece of content. Very cool, and I am looking forward to playing around with Venice more intensively over the holidays.

No comments: