Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Fala Portugeek?

Looking through the ZON Multimedia Q1 results, I came across a reference to a study carried out by the Portugese regulator, Anacom, into broadband performance.  The Anacom website has some awesome material in it, and I have always been perplexed as to why small markets like Portugal and Denmark have regulators devoted to market research, while some notable larger markets produce next to nothing (you know who you are!). 

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure that this is the study they're referring to in the release, but nevertheless I stumbled across this very detailed report from last month, detailing performance of both fixed and mobile broadband. It's in Portugese, but I think most readers will be able to get something out of it, or at least enjoy the nice graphics. For those less adventurous, a summary of the findings is here. I particularly like the observation:

"With regard to upload speeds it is seen that the speeds of mobile technology are higher than those provided by fixed technology."

I've got a 3G dongle which typcially sits idly by at home, as I ponder just how slow a cable modem upload can be. It would be nice to bond the two together somehow.

No comments: